Thursday, December 13, 2007

Christmas Cheer

This very well may be the only post we have this month. Life is crazy and we are trying to make an effort every day to focus on Jesus in our home. That is what makes this season joyous. God is so good to us. We have been overwhelmed with his provision lately. Thank you God, for what you have done.

We are excited to see what the boys will be like for Christmas this year. We usually get them only 3 gifts to open... after all, that is what was given to Jesus. Santa brings the stocking and a letter. (the letter is a new tradition, but it seems fitting because we want our Christmases to be memorable!)

Tradition is my favorite thing about this time of year. I had an epiphany a few years ago when we had very little to spend. I know that when I was growing up, my Christmases were extravagant, yet we have not been able to give gifts like that, we just have not had enough money. So, a few years ago I realized that all that was given to me mostly has been forgotten, but the feelings of love and family tradition were not. Those gifts are still stored up in my heart. That is when I understood that the best thing we can give our children is passing along tradition that focuses on Jesus and spending time together. Showing them it is better to give than receive, expressing to them that the greatest gift of all is our Lord, and helping them discover the miracle in Christ's birth. All of these are magical, too. So often we look at Frosty, or Santa or Rudolph and think that the wonder of Christmas is wrapped up in these stories.

Here is what we do, I cannot wait!
We have a candlelit steak dinner on Christmas eve. We go to church, and then we come home and open up new PJs! We do have a birthday cake for Jesus and this year Abe wants to put candles on it. Santa actually gets birthday cake!
On Christmas we wake up and open gifts then we go to my moms to celebrate!
On the 26th, we go to my Dad's and hang out, in the Christmases past, we have a gourmet feast that he prepares, but this year, and the following years, we are not so sure because dad has had bariatric surgurey... we are just playing it by ear.

This Christmas is special to us because we are home around family. It took a lot of pain to get here, but we are happy and content to be home again. Who knows what next Christmas will look like- I know one thing for sure, we are going to steep it in tradition.


If we post nothing else this year... have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

No comments: