Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thanksgiving

What a week! We had a a great weekend. Here are some things I want to remember about this years Thanksgiving-
~On Thursday we were relaxed... no rushing around to get somewhere because we were already in town! The boys and I had pancakes and sausage (of course) and we spent most of the morning in our PJs! Hans worked at Starbucks because he got time and a half. Dad was the chef for our meal this year. We had an all out gourmet spread. Turkey with some sort of fig gravy, regular dressing, cornbread and ittallian sausage dressing, grean beens, noodles, garlic roasted mashed potatoes, cranberry rellish, cranberry dressing, corn, roasted lamb (surprisingly this is what Abe loved!), homemade bread, pumpkin pecan pie, chocolate peanut butter moouse pie or better rephrased as heaven, and carmel apple cheesecake... I am sure I left some things out! This was Dad's big meal before his procedure- he is getting the stomach bypass next week.

~I brought the Cranberry salad, by request. This is the one dish that I have had at EVERY thanksgiving in my life! It is an old family recepie and it is sooooo yummy. This past year I found an old cookbook where an aunt of mine submitted this recepie. The book was totally retro, maybe from the 50's or 60's and it has a whole section dedicated to jello molds/ salads! This is where I found it. This treasure of a recepie first started out as a jello mold. It has cranberries, jello, crushed pineapple, marshmellow, pecans and a cream cheese frosting!

~Friday we had Hans' family over for soup. I made beef barley and red potatoe soup. It was great to see everyone and spend time with his cousin who is moving to Germany after Christmas. His grandmother hugged me goodbye and was teary eyed because she so desparately wanted everyone to get together.

~Satuday we recovered and did nothing! I got caught up on some chores around the house, and Hans had to work.

~Sunday we celebrated Thanksgiving with mom and Jeff at Holly Hoc Hill! This is a fancy shmancy family style resturaunt. It is known for its fried chicken. It is old fashioned and has been serving Indy for ever and ever. It smells like I remember my grandmas kitchen. It is also where Hans and I had our rehearsal dinner. We also put our christmas tree up and decorated the house. After we got it all up, Abe insisted that we turn off all the lights, and he looked up at me and said "let's sing!"

Fun times!! Can't believe that December is a couple of days away. In three weeks Abe will have his Christmas program! He is a shepherd in the play... he has a tiny line and it is "Let's go to Bethlehem and see the baby". We are practicing! Pictures to come!

No comments: