Monday, May 19, 2008

Chaos

This weekend, Jonah and I watched my little sister play Rugby at the State finals, we did not see it, but after the game we saw, they went on to win state! Yeah Whitney! Her team is called the Noblesville Chaos- and it is chaotic, the sport is viscious! Here are the pics that the Indianapolis Star took and the Article that was written about the team... she is the team captain. In like 2 weeks, I will watch her graduate highschool- she was one of my first babies



This is whitney pumping her team up!!

The Article from the Indianapolis Star :

Chaos reigned supreme at the North Central rugby field Saturday.
The Noblesville Chaos, that is.
Paced by tries from sophomore Lauren Barber and junior Allie Lee, the Noblesville girls rugby team -- nicknamed Chaos because they are a club program, not part of the school's athletic department -- defeated the two-time defending champion and previously unbeaten hosts 10-5 for the high school girls state title.
"We as seniors and captains have been waiting for this day for four years," said Noblesville senior Whitney Bowman, who shared captain's duties with senior Chelsea Hogle. "We had lost to North Central every single year, and this year we wanted it so much more. We almost beat them last year, so this year we knew what to expect."
Noblesville (8-1) took charge from the outset, Barber scoring the opening five-point try just minutes into the game with a dash around the right side.
"I was in support and when I got (the ball), I just took off," Barber said. "I was running and telling myself I had to go into a higher gear. I think that's the fastest I've ever run."
Just before the half, Lee made it 10-0 when she also sprinted down the right side for a try. Barber and sophomore Shelby Musselman each advanced the ball before it got to Lee, who took a big hit as she crossed the goal.
"(North Central) didn't want us to score and put up a fight," Lee said. "It was a great game."
About 10 minutes into the second of two 25-minute halves, North Central cut its deficit to 10-5 when senior Kristin Ennis countered a Noblesville attack with a long sprint down the left side for a try.
The Panthers pressed hard late in an attempt to tie the score, but Ennis was stopped once about 5 yards short of the goal and later senior Cierra McNeal was stopped about 2 yards shy of the goal. On each occasion, Musselman followed by punting the ball away from harm.
"I've been coaching for four years, and this is the first time we've beaten North Central," said Noblesville coach Brent McCurdy, whose Chaos topped Carmel 30-12 in a semifinal game. "I'm at a loss for words. All I can say is these girls have worked so hard and played so well together."
North Central coach Suzi Dillon, whose squad beat Brownsburg 10-5 in overtime in the other semifinal, said she was proud of her Panthers (8-1) despite the result.
"Every year our girls bring it consistently," she said. "I don't know if I would call (Noblesville's win) an upset because we knew how tough it would be. But we didn't stay out enough, they overloaded us and got around us two times too many."
Bowman said it was teamwork that allowed Noblesville, which avenged a 15-5 loss May 7 to North Central, to prevail.
"Right before the game, I told my girls that we don't play as athletes; rather, we play as a team and a family," Bowman said. "That's what won this game for us. Every person got a handle on the ball, and we stepped up."

No comments: